QUALITIES OF EFFECTIVE NGOs
There are many characteristics associated with effective NGOs. Below are some of the qualities of effective NGOs.
- They should have strategic plans which are in turn translated to workable implementation plans.
- They are clear on their vision of what they intend to achieve. The jack-of-all-trades approach is only found in the ineffective organizations.
- A well designed Transformation agenda. They know clearly how their programs will transform the lives of the intended recipients.
- The ability and tools to demonstrate the transformation in 3 above.
- Sound Management structure. This is what distinguishes an effective NGO from the briefcase types. The internal management structure has adequate controls and accountability mechanisms.
- Accountability to all stakeholders; the poor, donors, partners, governments.
- Responsiveness: All effective NGOs are responsive to the local belief structure of the population in the target country/location.
- Sustainability based Programs. Their projects should have in built sustainability mechanisms. Failure to have this creates ‘white elephant’ sort of projects.
- An effective NGO should have a good plan for monitoring and evaluation.
- Quality financial management and reporting
- They should have staff who are qualified in the area of focus and expertise.
- Their programs should allow for public participation.
Formulated by our NGO Training Team.